Nine Month Sandy Hook Anniversary Trip to Washington D.C.
Join Us In Washington, D.C.!
September 14th marks the nine month anniversary of the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. According to Slate’s estimate as of August 30, 2013, ~ 7,653 Americans have been killed by guns since Newtown (excluding suicides). The casualties of gun violence grow each and every day and there has been no federal action taken by congress to pass what the majority of Americans support – universal background checks to save lives and make our communities safer.
In honor of the 26 lives lost on December 14, 2012 and the lives of 7,653 killed by guns since that day, the Newtown Action Alliance is traveling to Washington D.C. with gun violence survivors and victims from Chicago, Aurora, Oak Creek, Hartford come to DC to be heard on September 17th and 18th to participate in the following activities:
Attend Senator Durbin’s Stand Your Ground Hearing:
Hearing Before the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights, and Human Rights:
Date: September 17, 2013
Time: 10:00 a.m.
Location: Dirksen Senate Office Building Room 226
(Room location is tentative; please check Senate Judiciary Committee website to confirm – http://www.judiciary.senate.gov/)
Speak Directly To Congress:
On September 17th in the afternoon and throughout the day on September 18th , members of the Newtown Action Alliance and other advocates from across the nation will meet with both Democratic and Republican congressional leaders.
Deliver Important Letters and Lists:
Throughout the two days, we will pound the pavement to visit every congressional office buildings in D.C. to hand-deliver letters to congress demanding background checks and a list of gun violence victims since Newtown. The background check letter has been signed by over 100 gun violence prevention alliance partners across the country with gun violence prevention organizations from over 25 states.
If your organization is interested in signing the letter then please complete this form: https://docs.google.com/a/newtownaction.org/forms/d/12HZfMj-g6SIIj_o8lB96yO4gofblklUAFeMYlTQhk2Q/viewform
Press Conference with Legislators:
We will be holding a press conference with key congressional leaders at noon on September 18, 2013 in the Capitol Building. Please review the video from our 6-month D.C. press conference:
September 16, 2013
- Out of state guests will arrive (some Newtown NAA members will greet out of state guests)
September 17, 2013
- 6AM Advocates from Newtown, surrounding towns and urban areas in CT will travel down to DC-expected arrival time between 12:30-1PM
- 10:00AM Stand Your Ground Hearing-Dirksen Senate Office Building Room 226
- 12:30-1:30 Quick meeting at Methodist building to meet our groups
- 1:30-6:00PM Meetings with legislators
- 6:00PM Return to hotel
- 7:00PM Dinner at the hotel
- 8:00PM Social at the hotel
September 18, 2013
- 7:00AM Breakfast at hotel
- 8:00AM Departure to the Capitol
- 9:00AM-Noon Meeting with legislators
- Noon-NAA Press Conference in Room us SVC 203-02
- 1:00PM-6:00PM Additional legislative meetings
- 6:00PM Newtown contingent will travel back home.
- Out of state guests will travel back home.
Please Help Make Everyone’s Voices Be Heard by Donating :
The NAA is helping other family members from cities like Chicago, Aurora, Oak Creek, and Hartford come to DC to be heard, and we ask you to help give other gun violence victims a voice by making a donation today: